Visualizing Modulair-PM Data

Hi!

I was curious if there is a way through python to create this type of plot using data in .csv format pulled from a MODULAIR-PM consoles that was sampling off of Scripps Pier in San Diego, CA this month.

I attempted to follow the py-smps documentation (py-smps/examples/Visualize SMPS Data using py-smsps.ipynb at master · quant-aq/py-smps · GitHub), but reached errors when trying to install the py-smps library.

I’ve attached data in .csv format that I’m trying to plot in “histogram” format (not sure if this classifies as a histogram);

I want to use the columns ‘bin0’ through ‘bin23’ of data and plot essentially particle diameter vs concentrations for 24hr, 12hr and 6hr periods of time. I want to do it a similar if not the same way as this figure does (although I understand if there are limitations) and also be able to overlay 4 different graphs on top of each other (if possible).

Another representation I’m interested in making is this heatmap plot:

This would be a better way (in my opinion) to look at the overall data, date = x, diameter = y, normalized conc = z

I’ve been trying to work with matplotlib, pandas and numpy but I have little to zero coding experience and this is the best I could come up with:

Any help with this through python or otherwise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Silas

p.s. if the images I intended to include fail to display here, the vital ones are available at the py-smps github link pasted earlier

Thanks for the question, Silas! If I’m understanding correctly, py-smps can do the types of plots you’re hoping to make. Can you paste in the commands you ran/errors you were getting when trying to install py-smps? (and maybe some information about your OS?)

Thanks!
David

Hi David,

I’m working from an HP Pavilion with Windows 11.

I’ve only been using the github documentation linked on the QuantAQ website and in my previous post; the example graphs I referenced above were taken directly from there.

Here is one example of an error message I get when attempting to ‘import smps’ using Jupyter notebook:

StopIteration Traceback (most recent call last)
File ~\anaconda3\Lib\importlib\metadata_init_.py:563, in Distribution.from_name(cls, name)
562 try:
→ 563 return next(cls.discover(name=name))
564 except StopIteration:

StopIteration:

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

PackageNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
Cell In[3], line 1
----> 1 import smps

File ~\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\smps_init_.py:8
5 from .models import *
6 from .rcmod import *
----> 8 version = version(“py-smps”)

File ~\anaconda3\Lib\importlib\metadata_init_.py:1008, in version(distribution_name)
1001 def version(distribution_name):
1002 “”“Get the version string for the named package.
1004 :param distribution_name: The name of the distribution package to query.
1005 :return: The version string for the package as defined in the package’s
1006 “Version” metadata key.
1007 “””
→ 1008 return distribution(distribution_name).version

File ~\anaconda3\Lib\importlib\metadata_init_.py:981, in distribution(distribution_name)
975 def distribution(distribution_name):
976 “”“Get the Distribution instance for the named package.
978 :param distribution_name: The name of the distribution package as a string.
979 :return: A Distribution instance (or subclass thereof).
980 “””
→ 981 return Distribution.from_name(distribution_name)

File ~\anaconda3\Lib\importlib\metadata_init_.py:565, in Distribution.from_name(cls, name)
563 return next(cls.discover(name=name))
564 except StopIteration:
→ 565 raise PackageNotFoundError(name)

PackageNotFoundError: No package metadata was found for py-smps

Here is the error I get when running 'pip install py-smps [–upgrade]

Note: you may need to restart the kernel to use updated packages.
ERROR: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_vendor\packaging\requirements.py”, line 102, in init
req = REQUIREMENT.parseString(requirement_string)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_vendor\pyparsing\core.py”, line 1141, in parse_string
raise exc.with_traceback(None)
pip._vendor.pyparsing.exceptions.ParseException: Expected string_end, found ‘[’ (at char 11), (line:1, col:12)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\cli\base_command.py”, line 169, in exc_logging_wrapper
status = run_func(*args)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\cli\req_command.py”, line 248, in wrapper
return func(self, options, args)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\commands\install.py”, line 342, in run
reqs = self.get_requirements(args, options, finder, session)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\cli\req_command.py”, line 411, in get_requirements
req_to_add = install_req_from_line(
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\req\constructors.py”, line 395, in install_req_from_line
parts = parse_req_from_line(name, line_source)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\req\constructors.py”, line 332, in parse_req_from_line
extras = convert_extras(extras_as_string)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\req\constructors.py”, line 57, in convert_extras
return get_requirement(“placeholder” + extras.lower()).extras
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_internal\utils\packaging.py”, line 45, in get_requirement
return Requirement(req_string)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip_vendor\packaging\requirements.py”, line 104, in init
raise InvalidRequirement(
pip._vendor.packaging.requirements.InvalidRequirement: Parse error at “‘[–upgra’”: Expected string_end

When I try ‘pip install py-smps’ I get this error:

Collecting py-smps
Using cached py_smps-2.0.0-py3-none-any.whl (19 kB)
Requirement already satisfied: joblib<2.0.0,>=1.0.0 in c:\users\silas\anaconda3\lib\site-packages (from py-smps) (1.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: numpy<2.0.0,>=1.19.1 in c:\users\silas\anaconda3\lib\site-packages (from py-smps) (1.24.3)
Requirement already satisfied: pandas<2.0.0,>=1.2.4 in c:\users\silas\anaconda3\lib\site-packages (from py-smps) (1.5.3)
Requirement already satisfied: requests<3.0.0,>=2.24.0 in c:\users\silas\anaconda3\lib\site-packages (from py-smps) (2.29.0)
Requirement already satisfied: scipy<2.0.0,>=1.5.2 in c:\users\silas\anaconda3\lib\site-packages (from py-smps) (1.10.1)
Collecting seaborn<0.11.0,>=0.10.1 (from py-smps)
Using cached seaborn-0.10.1-py3-none-any.whl (215 kB)
Collecting statsmodels<0.13.0,>=0.12.0 (from py-smps)
Using cached statsmodels-0.12.2.tar.gz (17.5 MB)
Installing build dependencies: started
Installing build dependencies: finished with status ‘error’
Note: you may need to restart the kernel to use updated packages.
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

pip subprocess to install build dependencies did not run successfully.
exit code: 1

[96 lines of output]
Ignoring numpy: markers ‘python_version == “3.6”’ don’t match your environment
Ignoring numpy: markers ‘python_version == “3.7”’ don’t match your environment
Collecting setuptools
Using cached setuptools-68.0.0-py3-none-any.whl (804 kB)
Collecting wheel
Using cached wheel-0.41.0-py3-none-any.whl (64 kB)
Collecting cython>=0.29.14
Using cached Cython-3.0.0-cp311-cp311-win_amd64.whl (2.8 MB)
Collecting numpy==1.17.5
Using cached numpy-1.17.5.zip (6.4 MB)
Preparing metadata (setup.py): started
Preparing metadata (setup.py): finished with status ‘done’
Collecting scipy>=1.2
Using cached scipy-1.11.1-cp311-cp311-win_amd64.whl (44.0 MB)
INFO: pip is looking at multiple versions of scipy to determine which version is compatible with other requirements. This could take a while.
Using cached scipy-1.10.1-cp311-cp311-win_amd64.whl (42.2 MB)
Using cached scipy-1.10.0-cp311-cp311-win_amd64.whl (42.2 MB)
Using cached scipy-1.9.3-cp311-cp311-win_amd64.whl (39.9 MB)
Using cached scipy-1.9.2-cp311-cp311-win_amd64.whl (39.9 MB)
Using cached scipy-1.9.1.tar.gz (42.0 MB)
Installing build dependencies: started
Installing build dependencies: finished with status ‘done’
Getting requirements to build wheel: started
Getting requirements to build wheel: finished with status ‘error’

Getting requirements to build wheel did not run successfully.

[55 lines of output]
The Meson build system
Version: 0.62.2
Source dir: C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-49lc5qvd\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9
Build dir: C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-49lc5qvd\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9\.mesonpy-v8n1bfwn\build
Build type: native build
Project name: SciPy
Project version: 1.9.1
WARNING: Failed to activate VS environment: Could not find C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe

..\..\meson.build:1:0: ERROR: Unknown compiler(s): [['icl'], ['cl'], ['cc'], ['gcc'], ['clang'], ['clang-cl'], ['pgcc']]
The following exception(s) were encountered:
Running "icl " gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"
Running "cl /?" gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"
Running "cc --version" gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"
Running "gcc --version" gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"
Running "clang --version" gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"
Running "clang-cl /?" gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"
Running "pgcc --version" gave "[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified"

A full log can be found at C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-49lc5qvd\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9\.mesonpy-v8n1bfwn\build\meson-logs\meson-log.txt
+ meson setup --native-file=C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-49lc5qvd\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9\.mesonpy-native-file.ini -Ddebug=false -Doptimization=2 --prefix=C:\Users\silas\anaconda3 C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-49lc5qvd\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9 C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-49lc5qvd\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9\.mesonpy-v8n1bfwn\build
  File "C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pyproject_hooks\_in_process\_in_process.py", line 353, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pyproject_hooks\_in_process\_in_process.py", line 335, in main
    json_out['return_val'] = hook(**hook_input['kwargs'])
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pyproject_hooks\_in_process\_in_process.py", line 118, in get_requires_for_build_wheel
    return hook(config_settings)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 969, in get_requires_for_build_wheel
    with _project(config_settings) as project:
  File "C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\contextlib.py", line 137, in __enter__
    return next(self.gen)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 948, in _project
    with Project.with_temp_working_dir(
  File "C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\contextlib.py", line 137, in __enter__
    return next(self.gen)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 777, in with_temp_working_dir
    yield cls(source_dir, tmpdir, build_dir)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 682, in __init__
    self._configure(reconfigure=bool(build_dir) and not native_file_mismatch)
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 713, in _configure
    self._meson(
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 696, in _meson
    return self._proc('meson', *args)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\silas\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-l2kns0lo\overlay\Lib\site-packages\mesonpy\__init__.py", line 691, in _proc
    subprocess.check_call(list(args))
  File "C:\Users\silas\anaconda3\Lib\subprocess.py", line 413, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['meson', 'setup', '--native-file=C:\\Users\\silas\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-49lc5qvd\\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9\\.mesonpy-native-file.ini', '-Ddebug=false', '-Doptimization=2', '--prefix=C:\\Users\\silas\\anaconda3', 'C:\\Users\\silas\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-49lc5qvd\\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9', 'C:\\Users\\silas\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-49lc5qvd\\scipy_9b15cafb5bcc4de985ebb2760fce70b9\\.mesonpy-v8n1bfwn\\build']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.

Getting requirements to build wheel did not run successfully.

See above for output.

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
[end of output]

pip subprocess to install build dependencies did not run successfully.

See above for output.

Thanks for taking a look, anything helps!
Silas

Thanks Silas! I was able to reproduce your issues on Anaconda’s hosted environment – I’m afraid I don’t know Conda well enough to know how to make it behave.

Would using a different Python environment work for you? I’ve been able to install and use py-smps in Google Colab (example notebook). This should still work for being able to render and see its visualizations.

Hope this helps,
David